Conceived in Italy, born in the USA. Robert G. Bertone Born: 1959 Jersey City, NJ.
Painting seriously since the 1970’s, I try to listen to my inner voice to express my feelings. To feel a sense, that there is a limitless to life, beyond what we see everyday. I find joy and solace in my painting…I feel a sense of spirituality in myself.At the age of 5 I started painting at a local art class in North Bergen, NJ. The classes were held in a small store that was rented out by a teacher named Pepe. That’s when I fell in love with the smell of the oil paints and painting with them. I still get a wonderful sense of comfort from the smell.
Primarily a self taught artist, my work has evolved through the use of color, line, and shape over the years; From simple geometric forms to more involved compositions. I sometimes emphasize certain areas of my compositions with the use of conflicting colors; as well as line. Over the years I have painted on linen, cotton canvases and panels. I work with oil paint in a creamy consistency, so my brushstrokes are usually visible; giving a sense of texture to my paintings.
” Many of my compositions and ideas come from drawings I do while soul searching late in the evening… and sometimes they come from my dreams.”
I loved my Mother very much. Mom, Silvana Bertone, spent 40 years of her life working in the Fashion industry in New York. Her love for fashion, colors; and anything that was out of the ordinary during the 60’s & 70’s, inspired me and my approach to my work greatly!
ARTEXPO NY, New York, N.Y.- March 2007
ARTEXPO NY, NewYork, N.Y.- February 1997
ARTEXPO NY, New York, N.Y,- March 1996
ARTEXPO NY, New York, N.Y.- March 1995
Third Edition-1988-“Encyclopedia of Living Artists”.– Cover illustration- “Encyclopedia of Living Artists”. –Tenth Anniversary Edition- 1997.–
- “EYE CANDY FOR THE SOUL” Planet Vivid Gallery, Frankfurt am Main, Frankfurt, GERMANY, -December.2008
- Gallery 51, Montclair, N.J.-March 24th – April 11th, 2007
- PASSAIC COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Paterson, N.J.- April 1988
- FINE ART CENTER, West Orange, N.J.-J une 1987
- VISUAL ART GALLERY, Jersey City, N.J.- March 24th – April 24th 1987
- SELTZER GALLERY, 444 Broom Street, SOHO,N.Y. – April 24th- May 14th 1986
- Long Island City, Arts Open “Art to Come” May 17th-22nd 2017
- LIC OPEN “New Developments” May 20th-22nd-2016 Long Island City, NY
- “Last Dance at The Old Gem Space”, Williamsburg, Brooklyn- A@RJune -2015
- “NYC SALON SHOWCASE”, Williamsburg, Brooklyn- Arts@RenaissanceFeb-March- 2015
- EDARCOM EUROPA GALLERIA D’ARTE CONTEMPORANEA -APRILE 2010 – Roma IN ALLEGATO L’INVITO DELLA MOSTRA EDARCOM EUROPA GALLERIA D’ARTE CONTEMPORANEA via Macedonia, 12/16 – 00179Roma, ITALY
- Art Monaco International Artfair, Grimaldi Forum, France- April.2010
- Berlin Liste International Art fair, Berlin,Germany- September.2009
- BERTONE STUDIO, Montclair, NJ-May 31st- June 30th, 2003
- WESTBETH GALLERY, N.Y.C.- June 1997
- Fine Arts Museum of Long Island, Hempstead, N.Y.-January 28th – March 4th, 1996
- WARD-NASSE GALLERY (Chelsea), NYC-June 5th – July 3rd, 2003
- ARTISTS NIGHT, Ridgewood, N.J.- 1995
- ART FORMS GALLERY, Red Bank, N.J.- June 10th – July 22nd 1994
- A.J. LEDERMAN FINE ART, Hoboken, N.J.- December 1992 – February1993
- THE EMERGING COLLECTOR, East Village, N.Y.C.- August, September & October 1989
- THE MUSEUM OF THE NATIONAL ARTS FOUNDATION,J.K. Javits Center, N.Y.C., – September 1989
- MUSEUM OF LUXEMBOURG, Paris, France- June 1989
- NATHENS GALLERY, Paterson, N.J.- February 1989
- MERCER STREET GALLERY, 55 Mercer Street, SOHO, N.Y.C.- December 1988
- PASSAIC COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Paterson, N.J.- May 1988
- MORRIN MILLER GALLERY, 119 West 57, NYC-May 9 – 22 1987
- SELTZER GALLERY, 444 Broom Street, N.Y.C.- January & February 1986
- KEAN MASON GALLERY, 50 West 57th Street, N.Y.C.- April 5th – 23rd 1983
Some collections: Larry Kramer & Catherine Brown/ Ron & Susan Katz/ Frank Pace/ Craig M. Schell/ Alan Schwinger/ Alcira Stern/ Denise Lockey/ Milan Kostic/ Susan Brod & Tony Higgins/ Eddie Diaz/ Debra Duckman/ Joseph V. Eagen/ Janice Halle/ Jim De Coursin- Syncom Inc./
Robert’s art will make you smile every time you look at it! Being a self-educated artist allowed him to create and establish his trademark style at an early age. His art has been showcased in galleries internationally. Robert’s whimsical and suggestive art is enhanced by his genius of composition and color. Just imagine a large piece becoming a focal point of your space. I can easily design the room around it to compliment its beautiful colors.